Until the summer of 1929, the site of the Broch of Gurness was nothing more than a massive, grassy mound by the shore.
The mound was known as the Knowe o' Aikerness.
The Knowe o' Aikerness
The remains of the broch were discovered by Orcadian poet and antiquarian, Robert Rendall. While sketching on the knowe, one of the legs of Rendall's stool sank into the mound. Carefully removing some of the nearby stones, Rendall uncovered a staircase leading down into the mound.
Full excavations began later that year and, for the first time in centuries, the broch and its outbuildings saw the light of day.
Find out more: http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/brochs/gurness/